About This Place
Edwards is a town in Hinds County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 1,347 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Jackson Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Edwards was originally named Amsterdam and settled in the 1830s. In 1832 it suffered from a Cholera epidemic and was then bypassed by the Alabama and Vicksburg Rail Road. This happened in 1839 when R. O. Edwards plantation became a stop on the railroad known as Edwards Depot.
The depot was burned to prevent its use during the American Civil War in 1863. The current site of Edwards was chosen in 1866. It was incorporated in 1871.