About This Place
Binford is a city in Griggs County, North Dakota in the United States. The population was 183 at the 2010 census. Binford was founded in 1899.
The Johnson Land Company of Iowa purchased a flax field owned by Gabriel Gabrielson when the Northern Pacific Railway laid its tracks in 1899. The town of "Blooming Prairie" was renamed Binford after attorney Ray Binford of Charles City, Iowa who handled the Land Company's purchase.
In the fall of 1899, a lumberyard and general store opened. A hotel was built in 1900. In 1905, Binford had its own newspaper, a bank, grain elevator, a hardware store, two groceries, a couple of pool hall-bowling alleys, two churches, and various other establishments.