North Loup, NE
North Loup is a village in Valley County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 339 at the 2000 census.
In 1871, a party of Seventh Day Baptists from Wisconsin explored Valley County for settlement sites. In May 1872, they established a community near what is now North Loup. A post office and general store were established in 1873; in 1877, the town of North Loup was formally organized. The name was taken from the North Loup River, in whose valley the village lies.
In 1880, the Union Pacific Railroad completed a branch line from Grand Island to St. Paul, Nebraska, shortening the distance from the Valley County settlements to rail transport. In the following year, North Loup and Ord voted for $9,000 worth of bonds to help subsidize the railroad's extension through the two towns. The rail connection from St. Paul to North Loup was completed in 1882.