About This Place
South Sioux City is a city in Dakota County, Nebraska, in the United States. It is located immediately across the Missouri River from Sioux City, Iowa, and is part of the Sioux City, IA–NE–SD Metropolitan Statistical Area. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 13,353, making it the 14th-largest city in Nebraska.
Meriwether Lewis and William Clark passed through the South Sioux City area in 1804.
European settlement on the Nebraska side of the river began as early as 1854. Several town sites were platted and incorporated in the 1850s. Pacific City, incorporated in 1858, was a short-lived settlement. Covington and South Covington, both incorporated in 1857, merged in 1870. Another town, Stanton, was founded in 1856.