The Huntington Historical Society began as an exclusively female organization in the early 20th century. Spawned by the success of the Town's 250th birthday celebration in 1903, the society's inception was due, in part, to the changing role of American women in the home. This change was just one of several trends which evolved as the economy of Long Island switched from an agricultural to a more industrial base.
Since then, the society has spent over 100 years protecting and interpreting the history of our town and the central Long Island region. The Society now maintains five national register historic properties. The first two, the Kissam House and the Conklin Farmhouse, are used as house museums and another, the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Building, is used for a gallery and display space for exhibiting selected portions of the society's collection. The fourth building, the Huntington Sewing and Trade School, houses the society's administration office and extensive Resource Center and Archives. The fifth is on the property of the Kissam House but is not open to the public.
The society sponsors educational festivals, a lecture series, school programs and summer educational programs.