About This Place
Epping is a town in Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 6,411 at the 2010 census. Epping includes the area known as Camp Hedding.
The primary settlement in town, where 1,681 people resided at the 2010 census, is defined by the U.S. Census Bureau as the Epping census-designated place (CDP) and includes the densely-populated portion of the town centered on New Hampshire Route 27 just west of New Hampshire Route 125.
The town was originally part of Exeter, one of the four original New Hampshire townships. To encourage settlement, as early as 1710 Exeter awarded free wood lots in the area. In 1741, Epping was granted a charter and incorporated as a town, the last New Hampshire town chartered by Massachusetts Governor Jonathan Belcher before the Province of New Hampshire separated from Massachusetts. Epping was named for Epping Forest, a suburb of London, England.