About This Place
Littleton is a town in Grafton County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 5,928 at the 2010 census. Situated at the edge of the White Mountains, Littleton is bounded on the northwest by the Connecticut River.
The primary settlement in town, where 4,412 people resided at the 2010 census, is defined as the Littleton census-designated place (CDP), and is centered around the intersection of U.S. Route 302 with New Hampshire Route 116, along the Ammonoosuc River.
Called Chiswick (Saxon for "Cheese Farm") in 1764, the area was settled in 1769. The town was part of Lisbon until 1770, when it was granted as Apthorp in honor of George Apthorp, head of one of the wealthiest mercantile establishments in Boston, Massachusetts. The land was later passed to the Apthorp family's associates from Newburyport, Massachusetts, headed by Colonel Moses Little. Colonel Little held the post of Surveyor of the King's Woods, and the town was named in his honor when it was incorporated in 1784, the same year New Hampshire became a state.