About This Place
New Hampton is a town in Belknap County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 2,165 at the 2010 census. A winter sports resort area, New Hampton is home to George Duncan State Forest and to the New Hampton School, a private preparatory school established in 1821.
The primary village in town, where 351 people resided at the 2010 census, is defined as the New Hampton census-designated place (CDP), and is located along New Hampshire Route 132, just south of its intersection with Route 104.
Granted in 1765 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, New Hampton was originally known as Moultonborough Addition after then-Colonel Jonathan Moulton, who held the position of town moderator. Moulton, who was born in Hampton, changed the name to New Hampton in 1777 when it was incorporated.