Newport, NH


Online Offers


Newport is a town in and the county seat of Sullivan County, New Hampshire, United States. It is 43 miles (69 km) west-northwest of Concord. The population was 6,507 at the 2010 census. A covered bridge is in the northwest. The area is noted for maple sugar and apple orchards.
The central settlement in town, where 4,769 people resided at the 2010 census, is defined as the Newport census-designated place (CDP) and is located next to the Sugar River at the junction of New Hampshire routes 10 and 11. The town also includes the villages of Kelleyville and Guild.
Granted in 1753 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, the town was named Grenville after George Grenville, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and brother-in-law of William Pitt. But ongoing hostilities during the French and Indian War, as close as the Fort at Number 4 at Charlestown, delayed settlement. Nevertheless, in 1761 the town would be incorporated as Newport, for Henry Newport, a distinguished English soldier and statesman.