Get Directions
Chatham NJ

Chatham, NJ

About This Place

Other Details
The Chathams refers to two neighboring municipalities in Morris County, New Jersey – Chatham Borough and Chatham Township. The two are separate municipalities, the first a municipality that was settled in 1710 as a colonial English village in the Province of New Jersey. The second, more southern, and less densely populated, municipality was formed in 1806 as a township, an form of municipal government peculiar to the state of New Jersey, delineating a region including several communities that initially included the village dating from 1710 (from which it took its name).
All except one of the communities included in the 1806 township governmental district seceded from it soon thereafter, when other forms of government became available to municipalities in the relatively new, post-revolution state of New Jersey, leaving only Green Village in an undefined rural district that experienced extensive residential development after 1960, when several farms and woodlands were sold off to developers[citation needed].
Two community services are shared by Chatham Borough and Chatham Township: since 1974 they have shared library services and in 1986 a joint school district was created and extended to most portions of Chatham Township for all grades.

Places Nearby

Recently Viewed