Clinton is a Town in Hunterdon County, New Jersey on the South Branch of the Raritan River. As of the 2010 United States Census, the town population was 2,719.
When the Clinton post office was established in 1829, the town was named for DeWitt Clinton, Governor of New York and the primary impetus behind the then-newly completed Erie Canal.
Clinton was incorporated as a town by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on April 5, 1865, within portions of Clinton, Franklin and Union Townships. Clinton gained full independence from its three parent townships in 1895.