Kearny ( /kɑrni/ kar-nee) is a town in Hudson County, New Jersey, United States. It was named after Civil War general Philip Kearny. As of the United States 2010 Census, the town population was 40,684. The town is a suburb of the nearby city of Newark.
Kearny was originally formed as a township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on April 8, 1867, from portions of Harrison Township. Portions of the township were taken on July 3, 1895, to form East Newark. Kearny was incorporated as a town on January 19, 1899, based on the results of a referendum held two days earlier.
Kearny is located at 40°45′47″N 74°8′14″W / 40.76306°N 74.13722°W / 40.76306; -74.13722 (40.763051, -74.137187).