About This Place
Marlton is a census-designated place and unincorporated area located within Evesham Township in Burlington County, New Jersey. As of the United States 2000 Census, the population of Marlton was 10,260.
Marlton was founded by Welsh and English farmers beginning in 1676. Originally called "Evesham" (named for an English village outside Stratford-upon-Avon), the town was incorporated as one of the original 13 townships in Burlington County in 1688.
The name Marlton first appeared in the early 19th century. The name is derived from marl clay, which is commonly found in the local soil. The discovery of the marl content helped local business and farmers, and caused the first "building boom", occurring in the 1830s and 1840s. Marl continued to be excavated in Marlton until 1930, when the pits were shut down. The marl was sold locally, and shipped directly, by rail to Burlington City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Atlantic City, for reshipping as an alternate for green manure, water treatment amendment, and semi-flowable fill.