About This Place
Kirtland is a census-designated place (CDP) in San Juan County, New Mexico, United States. The population was 6,190 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Farmington Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Kirtland was founded in the early 1880s by Latter-day Saint settlers who named it after Kirtland, Ohio. There had been a few Latter-day Saints who had settled in Fruitland as early as 1878. As of 2000 Fruitland was designated as part of Kirtland for census purposes. Another Latter-day Saint settlement of these early days was Waterflow, just west of Fruitland, which appears on maps to this day.
An LDS meetinghouse was dedicated in Kirtland by Heber J. Grant in 1928.