Ballston Spa, NY
Ballston Spa is a village in Saratoga County, New York, United States. The population was 5,556 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Saratoga County. The village is named after Rev. Eliphalet Ball,a Congregationalist clergyman and an early settler. The village lies on the border of two towns and is partly in the Town of Ballston and partly in the Town of Milton. The village is southwest of Saratoga Springs.
The village was first settled in 1771 and was incorporated as a village in 1807.
At one time, the village was famous for its mineral water spring used for healing, including the Hawthorne and Lithia springs. It was also known for the San Souci Hotel, which in the early 19th century was the largest in the United States and one of the largest in the world.