About This Place
Bay Shore is a hamlet and a census-designated place (CDP) located in the Town of Islip, Suffolk County, New York, USA. It is situated on the south shore of Long Island, adjoining the Great South Bay. Bay Shore celebrated its 300th anniversary in 2008. The population of the CDP was 23,852 at the time of the 2000 census.
The hamlet's name has changed several times. Early European settlers referred to the place as Penataquit and, earlier, Awixa; both names were used by the Native American Secatogue tribe. By the early 19th century it was renamed Sodom. When and why the name was changed to Sodom remains a mystery. In 1842 it was changed to Mechanicsville, then back to Penataquit in 1849. The name Penataquit proved unpopular because it was difficult to spell. The name of the post office was finally changed to Bay Shore in 1868.
The land that was to become Bay Shore was purchased from the Secatogue Indians in 1708 by John Mobray, a teacher, for "several eel spears".