About This Place
Gasport is a hamlet (and census-designated place) located in the Town of Royalton in Niagara County, New York, United States. The population was 1,248 at the 2000 census. The name is derived from observed natural gas and the historic Erie Canal port at that location. It is part of the Buffalo–Niagara Falls Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Gasport is east of the City of Lockport.
On May 18, 1826, a geological expedition, led by Amos Eaton and physicist Joseph Henry of the Rensselaerian School (now Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) through the western part of New York state aboard the canal boat "LaFayette," encountered flammable coal gas rising from a spring. They named the local community Gasport. On the return voyage, May 26, they passed through the settlement again, and saw that the name was already appearing on signboards.