About This Place
Ilion is a village in Herkimer County, New York, United States. The population was 8,610 at the 2000 census. Ilion is a name for the ancient city of Troy.
The Village of Ilion is at the north town line of the Town of German Flatts. The Erie Canal is north of the village.
The area where Ilion is located was first settled by Palatine Germans under the Burnetsfield Patent around 1725. Settlers first established residencies along Steeles Creek, which flows through the current village into the Mohawk River. Many mills were set up along the creek. After the American Revolution, a small community was set up in the area named New London. This area of the village still has buildings which use the name London.