About This Place
La Fargeville is a hamlet (and census-designated place) in the town of Orleans in Jefferson County, New York, United States. The population was 588 at the 2000 census. The hamlet is named after John La Farge, one of the early proprietors of the town. The hamlet of La Fargeville was once a village, but dissolved its municipal corporation in 1922.
La Fargeville is north of Watertown. The small hamlet has one school, LaFargeville Central School, which serves grades K through 12.
The hamlet was previously called "Log Mills" when it was first settled around 1816 due to the construction of a saw mill for logs. John La Farge arrived in 1826.