About This Place
Marion is a town in Wayne County, New York, United States. The population was 4,974 as of the 2000 census. It is named after Revolutionary War hero Francis Marion. It is an interior town near the center of the county, about 20 miles east of Rochester, New York and 50 miles west of Syracuse, New York.
Marion was part of the Phelps and Gorham Purchase. The area was first settled around 1795.
The Town of Marion was created from the Town of Williamson on April 18, 1825 as the "Town of Winchester." It was re-named in 1826 for Francis Marion, a Brigadier General from South Carolina in the American Revolutionary War.