About This Place
Pelham is a town in Westchester County, New York, United States. Historically, Pelham was composed of five villages and became known as "the Pelhams". Pelham currently contains two independently incorporated villages: Pelham and Pelham Manor, Approximately 28 minutes away from Grand Central Terminal by the Metro-North train, Pelham is home to many New York City commuters. Today, Pelham is referred to as "the first suburb north of New York City," and has an active social community for its residents.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.2 square miles (5.7 km²), of which, 2.2 square miles (5.6 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (2.27%) is water. It is directly north of the New York City borough of the Bronx and borders Eastchester, New Rochelle and Mount Vernon.
In 1654, Thomas Pell bought the area within the present-day town from the Siwanoy Indians. He named his manor "Pelham" in honor of his tutor, Pelham Burton.