About This Place
Port Jefferson Station is a hamlet (and census-designated place) in Suffolk County, New York, United States. The population was 7,527 at the 2000 census.
The area now known as Port Jefferson Station were first called by the Native American name Comsewogue. The name Echo was also used. The first resident, William Tooker, had arrived by 1750.
In 1873, the Long Island Rail Road arrived to provide service to nearby Port Jefferson, providing the town's name.