About This Place
Rensselaer Falls is a village located in St. Lawrence County, New York, United States. As of the 2000 census, the village had a total population of 337. The current name came from mill owner Henry Van Rensselaer.
The Village of Rensselaer Falls is in the western part of the Town of Canton and is due west of the Village of Canton.
A six foot drop in the river attracted early settlers to the available water power. The community was first called "Tateville" and later "Canton Falls." The current name was established by the Post Office in 1851.