About This Place
Schuylerville is a village in Saratoga County, New York, United States. The population was 1,197 at the 2000 census. The village is named after the Schuyler family.
The Village of Schuylerville is in the northeast part of the Town of Saratoga and is east of Saratoga Springs. It borders the Village of Victory.
The region was settled in 1691 and called Fort Saratoga by Dutch settlers from Albany, NY, notably the Schuyler family. The community that developed near the fort was originally called "Saratoga," but was partly destroyed in 1745. In 1777, during the Revolutionary War, the British crossed the Hudson here, and marched south about 9 miles to Stillwater. After their defeat, the British retreated back to the village, where they surrendered, marking the "turning point of the Revolution." This event is known as the Battles of Saratoga.