About This Place
Springville is a village in the southeast part of the town of Concord in Erie County, New York, United States. Springville is the principal community in the town and a major business location in south Erie County. The population was 4,252 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Buffalo–Niagara Falls Metropolitan Statistical Area. Springville, NY was formally named "Fiddler's Green" before it was re-named "Springville".
"With its historical heritage and quality of life, the Village of Springville is one of the best-kept secrets in Western New York. The Village is located in southern Erie County among the foothills of the Allegany Mountains and at the western end of beautiful Zoar Valley. Because it is also at the juncture of Routes 219 and 39, Springville is a short scenic drive to all the area’s cultural and athletic events. Excellent skiing, fishing, and hunting opportunities abound only minutes away. Historically, Springville is the home of Glenn “Pop” Warner and the place where Novocain was invented. Its downtown contains many buildings that date back to the late 19th and early 20th century. In fact, downtown Springville has recently been included on the National Register of Historic Places." --Mayors Message
In 1808, Samuel Cochran became the first permanent settler in the town. The Springville Academy, opening in 1830, became the first high school in the county. It was given its current name, Springville Griffith Institute, in 1867 to honor a donor. The Village of Springville was incorporated in 1834 from part of the Town of Concord. Dygert Farm on Elk St. was the site of the first Erie County Fair.