About This Place
Tappan (pronouncded tuh-PAN) is a hamlet (and a census-designated place) in the Town of Orangetown Rockland County, New York, United States located north of Old Tappan, New Jersey; east of Nauraushaun and Pearl River; south of Blauvelt and west of Palisades and Sparkill. The population was 6,757 at the 2000 census.
The Tappan were a Lenape people who inhabited the region radiating from Hudson Palisades and New York – New Jersey Highlands at the time of European colonialization in the 17th century.
The first County Courthouse was built in Tappan, though by 1737, sessions alternated between Tappan and Goshen.