About This Place
Tivoli is a village in Dutchess County, New York, United States. The population was 1,118 at the 2010 census. The village, which was incorporated in 1872 from parts of Upper Red Hook Landing and Madalin, is the northernmost settlement in the county, located in the northwest part of the Town of Red Hook. It is part of the Poughkeepsie–Newburgh–Middletown, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area as well as the larger New York–Newark–Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area. It is also entirely within the Hudson River Historic District, a National Historic Landmark. The village is accessible via New York State Route 9G at an intersection with Dutchess County Route 78.
A private liberal arts college, Bard College, is located just south of the village, and the Kaatsbaan International Dance Center is located within the village boundaries.
The region was part of the Schuyler Patent, a 1788 patent defining some of the towns and villages in Dutchess County and the Poughkeepsie Regional Area. The village was formerly known as "Upper Red Hook Landing." An adjacent community, "Madalin," was contiguous to Upper Red Hook Landing. The Village of Tivoli was incorporated in 1872, consolidating both Madalin and Upper Red Hook Landing. The village government sits in an old firehouse which was constructed by General John Watts de Peyster.