Avon is a city in Lorain County, Ohio, United States. The population was 11,446 at the 2000 census.
Township Number 7 in Range 16 of the Western Reserve received its first permanent American settlers during 1814 from Montgomery County, New York, led by Wilbur Cahoon. The township was administered by Dover township and was part of Cuyahoga County. In 1818, Township Number 7 was organized and first named Xeuma, then later, Troy Township. In 1824, Lorain County was created, and the name of Troy Township was changed to Avon Township. An Avon post office was established in 1825. Eventually, the entire township was incorporated as the city of Avon.
Avon is located at 41°27′2″N 82°1′18″W / 41.45056°N 82.02167°W / 41.45056; -82.02167 (41.450538, -82.021670).