About This Place
Chardon is a city in Geauga County, Ohio, United States. The population was 5,148 at the 2010 Census. It is the county seat of Geauga County.
Chardon is named after Peter Chardon Brooks, who donated land to build the historic Chardon Square.
On July 24–25, 1868, a massive fire totally destroyed what is now known as Chardon Square. The fire originated in the Parlin Parkin's grocery store, and spread rapidly. By the time the fire was contained, the courthouse, post office, and many stores on the square were destroyed. Damage was estimated at around $120,000. Chardon Square was quickly rebuilt following the fire. A new courthouse, which still stands today, was completed in 1869. Many other buildings that were constructed after the fire also still exist today.