About This Place
Dover is a city in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, United States. The population was 12,210 at the 2000 census.
Dover was originally part of a grant to Col. James Morrison of Kentucky, who had received it from the federal government for Revolutionary War services. In 1802, two brothers-in-law from Baltimore, Maryland, Christian Deardorff and Jesse Slingluff, traveled through the area and so admired the potential quality of the land along the confluence of the Tuscarawas River and Sugarcreek that they bought 2000 acres (8 km²) of land in 1806 for just over $4,600. The brothers-in-law settled there and the following year laid out the what they hoped would become a prosperous town.
It took a while; by 1818, there were only five buildings in Dover, including three taverns. The founders had hoped Dover would become the county seat, but that honor went to the neighboring town of New Philadelphia.