About This Place
Dresden is a village in Muskingum County, Ohio, United States, along the Muskingum River at the mouth of Wakatomika Creek. The population was 1,423 at the 2000 census.
Dresden is located on or near the site of the Delaware (Native American) village of Wakatomika, which gave its name to Wakatomika Creek, the creek that empties into the Muskingum River near the northern edge of the village. This settlement was burned around 1774 during Lord Dunmore's War, opening the area for White settlement.
In the 19th century Dresden was an important trading town on the Ohio and Erie Canal. A side cut canal linked the Ohio and Erie Canal with the Muskingum River. A suspension bridge built by George Willison Adams and John Augustus Roebling once crossed the Muskingum River at Dresden.