About This Place
Hollansburg is a village in Darke County, Ohio, United States. The population was 214 at the 2000 census.
On March 28, 1838, local landowner James Stewart platted a community in northwestern Harrison Township and named it "Union.":562 When William Hollaman, another landowner, attempted to purchase lots in the settlement, a dispute erupted between the two men; seven months later, Hollaman attempted to avenge himself by platting another community only 1 mile (1.6 km) to the northeast of Union, to which a third landowner, Valentine Harland, quickly made additions. The new community was given the name of "Hollansburg" as a portmanteau of the owners' names — Hollaman and Harland. Within a year, a countryside post office named "Republican" was moved to Hollansburg, and the village quickly began to outgrow Union; the two communities ultimately merged. The first church in the village, a Church of Christ, was founded in 1840, while the first school building was erected in 1848.:563
Hollansburg is located at 39°59′55″N 84°47′32″W / 39.99861°N 84.79222°W / 39.99861; -84.79222 (39.998503, -84.792349).