About This Place
Perrysville is a village in Ashland County, Ohio, United States. The population was 816 at the 2000 census. The area was first permanently settled around 1811. One of the settlers, Judge Coulter, picked the most beautiful spot for a village with the intentions of naming it Coulterville. However, as Judge Coulter was preparing to formally establish the Village in 1813 news reached of the monumental victory of Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry in the Battle of Lake Erie, and so the residents decided to name the village in his honor.
Perrysville is the birthplace of the famous 19th century female author Rosella Rice, and home to retired boxer "Raging" Craig Weber. Perrysville acts as headquarters of Mansfield Plumbing Products, one of the largest sanitation manufacturers in the world, and is also the location of a primary plant of Step 2 Industries. Overall, Perrysville is home to more industry than the rest of Ashland County combined.
In the early 19th century, the area was rife with tension between white settlers and native Americans. The massive Greentown Indian Village was located only a few miles away, and originally on good terms, the War of 1812 resulted in hostilities between the two factions. American soldiers convinced Reverend Copus, who was a friend of the Greentown Indians, to convince the men of the Indian Village to join the Americans in attacking natives allied with the British. Copus succeeded, and the Greentown Warriors headed West. However, by the time they reached the horizon the American soldiers set fire to the village, having deceived both Reverend Copus and the Indians. The warriors noticed the plumes of smoke, and turned back. Finding their village in ashes, they assumed Reverend Copus had tricked them and in turn massacred his family in what is now known as the Copus Hill Massacre. In addition to the Greentown Indians, an early unknown tribe inhabited the area. Upon laying out the Village, settlers excavated numerous burial mounds. Unfortunately as archaeology and conservation were not popular, the gravel from the mounds was used to form the roads of the village and all artifacts were either disposed of or kept by local families.