Republic is a village in Seneca County, Ohio, United States. The population was 614 at the 2000 census.
In 1834, Sidney Smith hired R.M. Shoemaker of Cincinnati to survey a new town at the corners of sections 15, 16, 21, and 22 in Scipio Township. He called it "Republic," though it was known by many early settlers simply as "Scipio Center."
With the arrival of a rail line from Sandusky in 1841, Republic became a popular trading center. Stores, warehouses, shops, and factories sprang up almost overnight. And, a second rail line was contemplated between Republic and Melmore in Eden Township.