Adair is a town in Mayes County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 704 at the 2000 census. Named for two prominent Cherokee brothers, the town was established in 1883 and opened a Cherokee school.
Adair is named after two Cherokee brothers, William Penn Adair and Dr. Walter Thompson Adair. It was established on March 15, 1883, and incorporated in 1897. William Penn Adair lived in the area off and on for 17 years beginning in the late 1860s.
In the 1880s, a Cherokee school was started, and opened up to white students around the time of Oklahoma statehood.