About This Place
Bison is a rural unincorporated community located on US Highway 81 in Garfield County, Oklahoma, United States, consisting of a 30-acre town plat. The community was named for nearby Buffalo Springs. Buffalo Springs was a historic stage coach stop and a watering hole on the Chisholm Trail located about a mile north of Bison. Bison is home to a Catholic community, part of St. Joseph's parish under the Archdisocese of Oklahoma City. The church was erected in 1909, followed by a two-story brick school building operated by the Sisters of the Divine Providence from 1911 to 1934 when the Adorers of the Blood of Christ took over.
Bison's economy is agricultural and oil-based with oil wells on several farms, and grain elevators by the Bison Cooperative Association, Star Mill and Burrus Mill companies. Bison was home to Bison State Bank from 1900 until 1933, when it closed due to the Great Depression. The Hotel Woodring was established in 1900 by Irvin and Ella Woodring, the parents of Irvin "Bertie" Woodring for whom Enid Woodring Regional Airport is named. The post office opened August 31, 1901. The Bison Mercantile Company was originally established as a grocery store by W.J. Scrichfield in 1900, and operated until 1958 when it was purchased by the Bison Cooperative Association. The co-op was established in 1920, the same year that Oklahoma Gas & Electric brought electricity to the town.