Dewey is a city in Washington County, Oklahoma, United States. Founded by Jacob A. Bartles in 1899, the town was named for Admiral George Dewey. It was incorporated December 8, 1905. The population was 3,179 at the 2000 census and 3,432 at the 2010 census .
In 1899, Jacob Bartles moved his grist mill and trading post three miles north from Bartlesville, Oklahoma to property he owned along the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. He built the Dewey Hotel in the following year. The first newspaper in town, the Dewey Eagle, began publication in 1900, and the [[Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad came to Dewey in 1903.
Dewey is located at 36°47′46″N 95°56′10″W / 36.79611°N 95.93611°W / 36.79611; -95.93611 (36.796106, -95.936102).