About This Place
Jones is a town in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma, United States, and a part of the Oklahoma City Metropolitan Area. The population was 2,517 at the 2000 census.
Originally known as Glaze, Jones was platted as townsite on April 22, 1898 by Luther F. Aldrich before the St. Louis and Oklahoma City Railroad constructed a line from Sapulpa to Oklahoma City. Aldrich named the town after his friend and business associate, Charles G. "Gristmill" Jones who was a three-time mayor of Oklahoma City. Jones later named his eldest son Luther.
Jones is located just south of the place that Washington Irving described as "The Ringing of Horses" in the book A Tour on the Prairies (1835)