About This Place
Kaw City is a city in Kay County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 372 at the 2000 census. Kaw City was named for the Kanza Indians, called the Kaw by locals.
In 1902, the original Kaw City was founded, prior to Oklahoma statehood, as a farming community in the fertile oxbow bend of the Arkansas River. Though the original townsite is now inundated by the waters of Kaw Lake, the old town was quite a busy place.
After its founding, it became a booming oil town when 'black gold' was discovered in nearby Kay County and the present Osage Nation reservation. It even had a very popular four-story hotel filled with one of the world's rarest art collections.