About This Place
Quapaw is a town in Ottawa County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 984 as of the 2000 census.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.6 square miles (1.5 km²), all land.
In 1891 Kansas farmer Isaac Bingham moved his family south into Ottawa County. The family established a community and opened several businesses and Quapaw Chief John Quapaw donated land for a community school. The Kansas City, Fort Scott and Memphis Railroad established a railroad stop and siding at the community location. This established access to markets for hay and agricultural products of the area. A post office was opened in the community grocery store in 1897.