About This Place
Sand Springs is a city in Osage and Tulsa counties in the U.S. state of Oklahoma. A suburb of Tulsa, it is located predominantly in Tulsa County. The population was 18,906 in the 2010 U. S. Census, compared to 17,451 at the 2000 census. The city was founded in 1911, by Oklahoma philanthropist Charles Page. He envisioned Sand Springs as a haven for orphans and widows. He helped found and develop Sand Springs as a model city that included all components of a total community. Today, Sand Springs is ripe with growth and development due to its strategic location near downtown Tulsa and proximity to cultural and recreational opportunities. Numerous private and governmental projects are currently underway to morph Sand Springs from a historically rich bedroom community into a progressive and complete community.
Wealthy businessman Charles Page bought 160 acres of land in Tulsa County, Oklahoma in 1908, intending to build a home for orphaned children. The initial tent housing twenty seven children, abandoned by the Hook & Anchor Orphanage in Tulsa, was soon replaced by a frame building housing fifty children. He also decided to form a community called Sand Springs on land west of the children's home, offering free land to anyone who wished to move there and a $20,000 bonus ( the amount varied and he also offered free utilities) to companies that would relocate there. In 1911, Page created the Sand Springs Railway, an interurban connecting Sand Springs to Tulsa. The townsite was laid out in 1911. Sand Springs was incorporated as a city in 1912, with a population of 400.
Some of the earliest manufacturing industries were: Kerr Glass Manufacturing; Commander Mills, Kerr, Hubbard and Kelley Lamp and Chimney; Southwest Box Company and Sinclair Prairie Refining Company. Medical and social welfare institutions other than the Sand Springs Home included the Oakwood Sanitorium for nervous and mental diseases, Poole Hospital, the Salvation Army Maternity Home, and the Sand Springs School for the Deaf. Sand Springs became one center of glass production in Oklahoma. Kerr Glass Manufacturing moved to Sand Springs from Chicago in 1913. It and the Alexander H. Kerr company, which made fruit jars, were the only glass companies remaining in business as recently as 1955. The Home that Charles Page started all those years ago is still there today and include what use to be the Widows Colony but now accepts single Mother's with 2 or more children. It is a jewel that is hidden in Oklahoma and most people are not aware of the rich history that continues today.