Sapulpa is a city in Creek and Tulsa counties in the U.S. state of Oklahoma. The population was 20,544 at the 2010 United States census, compared to 19,166 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Creek County.
The town was named after Chief James Sapulpa, the area's first permanent settler, who was a full-blood Lower Creek Indian of the Kasihta Tribe from Osocheetown, Alabama. In about 1850, he established a trading post near the meeting of Polecat and Rock creeks (about one mile (1.6 km) southeast of present-day downtown Sapulpa). When the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad (later known as the Frisco railroad) built a spur to this area in 1886, it was known as Sapulpa Station. Sapulpa post office was chartered in 1889. The town was chartered in 1898.
After Oklahoma became a state, each county held an election to determine the location of the county seat. Sapulpa competed with Bristow, Oklahoma for county seat of Creek County. After five years of contested elections and court suits, the question was settled by the Oklahoma Supreme Court on August 1, 1913. Sapulpa was ruled the winner. The county courthouse was completed in 1914, replacing an earlier structure built in 1902.