About This Place
Brookville is a borough in Jefferson County, Pennsylvania, 100 miles (161 km) northeast of Pittsburgh. 2,472 people lived in Brookville in 1900, and 3,003 people lived there in 1910. The population was 4,230 at the 2000 census. Founded in 1830, it is the county seat of Jefferson County The mayor of Brookville is Chip Wonderling.
The area was initially settled in the late 1790s upon the arrival of brothers Joseph and Andrew Barnett, as well as their brother-in-law Samuel Scott, who together established the first settlement at the confluence of the Sandy Lick and Mill Creeks in the area now known as Port Barnett. The first non-Native American settler of the land within the eventual town limits was Moses Knapp, who built a log house at the confluence of North Fork and Sandy Lick creeks (which form Redbank Creek) in 1801. Brookville's main source of economic development throughout the 19th century was the lumber industry. Brookville's many streams and its connection to larger rivers (the Clarion and later, the Allegheny) allowed for extensive construction of lumber mills along the watersheds and the floating of timber to markets in Pittsburgh. The town enjoyed great economic success during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, serving as home to several factories, breweries, an important railroad stop for local coal and timber, and briefly the Twyford Motor Car Company, which operated from 1905 to 1907 and produced the world's first 4-wheel drive automobile. More recently, Interstate 80, which traverses the United States, was constructed just north of the Brookville borough, including two large bridges spanning the North Fork Creek and Dr. Walter Dick Park. The town has continued to support the lumber industry and also features several small and medium-sized businesses and significant manufacturing operations.
Brookville is located at 41°9′35″N 79°4′49″W / 41.15972°N 79.08028°W / 41.15972; -79.08028 (41.159654, -79.080276).