About This Place
Dickson City is a borough in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, 4 miles (7 km) north of Scranton. Coal mining had been an important industry in the past. Some of the population totals follow: in 1900, 4,948; in 1910, 9,331; in 1920, 11,049; and in 1940, 11,548. Coal miners are much scarcer in Pennsylvania today than they had been, so populations have fallen in many places such as Dickson City; The population was 6,205 at the 2000 census.
Dickson City was once known as Priceburg. It was the newest village in the valley and one of the most progressive. German immigrants then founded the village of Priceville in 1863, in honor of Eli Price. This section of the town developed rapidly after 1880, when John Jermyn sank the shaft which is now known as the Johnson shaft. Here the population had grown from 329 to 841.
In April 1875, Dickson City was incorporated as a Borough, including at the time all of the present Borough of Throop. It received its name from the late Thomas Dickson.