About This Place
East Pittsburgh is a borough in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, about 11 miles (18 km) southeast of the confluence of the Monongahela and the Allegheny rivers at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The population in 1900 stood at 2,883, and in 1910, at 5,615. As of the 2000 census, the borough population was 2,017, having fallen from 6,079 in 1940. George Westinghouse erected large works there which supplied equipment to the great power plants at Niagara Falls and for the elevated and rapid-transit systems of New York. Nearby, the George Westinghouse Bridge over Turtle Creek is a prominent fixture in that area, which is very near Braddock, Pennsylvania.
The first transmission from pioneer station KDKA AM was made from East Pittsburgh on November 2, 1920.
In 1928, an early demonstration of a new medium was conducted at the Westinghouse laboratories in East Pittsburgh. Eventually, the new medium became known as "television." Vladimir Zworykin worked for Westinghouse Electric Corporation at that time. He lived in the borough of Wilkinsburg.