About This Place
Gap is a census-designated place and town in Salisbury Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania with a zip code of 17527. The population was 1,611 at the 2000 census. It is the terminus for four Pennsylvania highways: 772, 741, 897, and the heavily-used 41, which goes toward Wilmington, DE.
Gap has a history which can be dated as far back as William Penn's first visits to the area. Isaac Taylor erected the first house in what would become the Gap in 1747. The area around Gap had a copper mine and what at the time was the only nickel mines in the United States. The town was named after The Gap in the Appalachian Mountains.
A stretch of railroad line was laid through areas of Sadsbury Township and Salisbury Township, which portions of each township share the Gap ZIP code (17527) and the town name of Gap.