Sayre is the largest borough in Bradford County, Pennsylvania, 59 miles (95 km) northwest of Scranton. In the past, various iron products were made there. In 1900, 5,243 people lived there; in 1910, 6,426 people lived there, and in 1940, 7,569 persons made their homes in Sayre. The population was 5,813 at the 2000 census. Sayre is home to the Robert Packer Hospital and Guthrie Clinic. Sayre is also in a small area called 'The Valley,' a group of four contiguous communities in New York and Pennsylvania: Waverly, New York; South Waverly, PA; Sayre; and Athens, PA, with a combined population near 30,000.
Sayre borders, and is contiguous with, Waverly, New York; South Waverly, Pennsylvania; and Athens, Pennsylvania..
In May 1870, a Waverly banker named Howard Elmer, along with Charles Anthony and James Fritcher, bought the Pine Plains area between Waverly and Athens. Elmer convinced Asa Packer to locate a new railroad repair facility on the Pine Plains for the expanding Lehigh Valley Railroad, which was making a push north to connect to the New York state railroads. Robert Heysham Sayre, President of the Pennsylvania and New York Railroad, helped cement the deal. The town was named in his honor. Sayre was incorporated on January 27, 1891.