About This Place
Swissvale is a borough in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, nine miles (14 km) east of downtown Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Named for a farmstead owned by abolitionist and early feminist Jane Swisshelm, during the industrial age it was the site of the Union Switch and Signal Company of George Westinghouse. The population was 9,653 at the 2000 census. In 1940, 15,919 people lived there.
Swissvale is located at 40°25′20″N 79°53′10″W / 40.42222°N 79.88611°W / 40.42222; -79.88611 (40.422304, -79.886185).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.3 square miles (3.3 km²), of which, 1.2 square miles (3.1 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.2 km²) of it (4.76%) is water.