Towanda is a borough in and the county seat of Bradford County, Pennsylvania, United States, 66 miles (106 km) northwest of Wilkes Barre, on the Susquehanna River. The name means "burial ground" in the Algonquian language. Settled in 1784 and incorporated in 1828, Towanda was once known primarily for its industrial interests, which included flour, planing and silk mills, a foundry and machine shop, dye works, and manufactories of talking machines, cut glass, toys and furniture. The population in 1900 was 4,663 and, in 1910, 4,281. The population was 3,024 at the 2000 census.
Towanda is located at 41°46′13″N 76°26′48″W / 41.77028°N 76.44667°W / 41.77028; -76.44667 (41.770251, -76.446545).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.1 square miles (2.9 km²).