About This Place
Arlington is a town in Shelby County, Tennessee, United States. The population was 2,569 at the 2000 census and 11,517 at the 2010 census, for a gain of 348.3% during the decade. It is one of seven municipalities in Shelby County.
Arlington has been called Shelby County’s best-kept secret, as it has remained a small quiet rural town for two centuries.
Settlers came to the area in the 1830s, and many of their descendants still live in the town. Originally known as Haysville, the town was named after the original landowner, Samuel Jackson Hays, a nephew of President Andrew Jackson. The area began to grow with the development of the Memphis and Ohio Railroad and the creation of Withe Depot within its boundaries. By 1856, about 200 people called Haysville home. The outbreak of yellow fever in Memphis in 1878 contributed to the stagnant population as the town fathers quarantined the area, forbidding outsiders from entering the town. Since its incorporation, Arlington has grown to incorporate the former community of Bolton, after which Bolton High School is named.